Thursday, April 5, 2012

What I Do & Why I Love It

As an esthetician at 30 Volume Salon in Statesboro, Georgia, I have been advised that one of the best ways to get the word out about what I do is...surprise, surprise...writing a blog about it!  Something I love to do anyway, but I have been so busy trying to let people know that I am here with flyers, business cards, and specials, I have overlooked the obvious.  So here goes - a blog about my job and what makes it so special.

I decided to become an esthetician after four years of fashion school.  I adore fashion, but began to see myself as more of a behind the scenes contributor.  I've always loved makeup and been obsessed with my skin care regimen, and with the blessing of my husband (who dealt with the craziness of five years of school - thank you, darlin') and the support of my cosmetologist sister, I switched schools to pursue my real passion.

The year flew and dragged by at the same time, and winning a state competition got me national recognition, but getting that license in my hand gave me the accreditation to look for my first grown-up job.  The salon I work at is perfect - beautifully decorated, owned by two amazing women (the best bosses I've ever had, and I've had a few crazies), with a booming clientele base.  I was starting from scratch building my own clientele, but I had a very important piece of paper, the skills (pretty mad skills, according to my clients and guinea pigs alike), and the proper backup to succeed.

In addition to my esthetics license, I became certified in sugaring, a way to remove hair from every area of your body without the irritation of wax.  And did I mention it is less painful?  Anyway, another blog for another day.  Sugaring has quickly become my newest passion because not only does it beautify in a very subtle way, it offers a solution to my clients for the aggravation that is hair removal.

Sugaring removes hair, yes, but there's a million other benefits.  Fuzzy face?  Sugaring exfoliates like a mini-facial, making makeup glide on like butter.  Fuzzy legs?  Sugaring will make a spray tan last longer because it removes the dead skin and the need to shave (which we all know takes that expensive bronze color right off).  Fuzzy bikini?  Sugaring eventually eliminates ingrown hairs, very common in this area and caused by shaving and waxing.  And these are just to name a few of the awesome things that keep clients swearing against waxing or shaving ever again.

We are one of the very few salons in the southeast that offer sugaring.  (Remember what I said about having the proper backup?  Only the best salons offer it because in order to start up, an amazing salon owner is required, and I am one of the lucky few to have this support.)  When we work this hard to convince people to come try a service or a product, it's only because we are completely in love with it.  It has offered a solution for my very sensitive skin, and it continues to amaze my clients.  If you try it, I know you are going love it too!


1 comment:

  1. Jess I'm so glad to have you as my esthetician! Without you I couldn't be sexy ;) Thanks for helping my always feel more beautiful! And your salon is the best :)

    --Alicia Rae

    ReplyDelete